Monday, February 24, 2014

Low Carb Cherry Almond Scones!

Iiiiiiiiiiit's Made it Monday! again...Are you excited???  Tonight I am going to share one of my recent FAVORITE new recipes...I mean, it's one of those...."hearing the angels singing and the heavens above opening when you take a bite" kind of recipes.


 
They are Low Carb Cherry Almond Scones.  Is your mouth watering yet?  :-)

After eating low carb for a year, I have recently discovered "Swerve".  It was very frustrating being a "baker" and not being able to bake anything traditionally on a low carb diet (nix flour and sugar and good luck finding a delectable cake/brownie/cookie recipe worth the cost and effort).  Swerve has been a life saver!  After a lot of research and a "trial" order, I do have to say that I love the way Swerve "measures" up<-----See what I did there?  hehehe. 

Swerve IS "pricey" and I only use it here and there, but I have found a plethora of "carb friendly" recipes that use Swerve.  I HAVE found that (as the research indicates) sometimes stomach discomfort can occur with swerve.  I have a very sensitive stomach (Splenda sends me running to the bathroom in 10 minutes).  I look for recipes that use 3/4 c of swerve or less.  One recipe that used a full cup DID cause me some stomach upset.  I have kept to my "3/4 or less" rule since then and have had NO TROUBLE.  I haven't been able to try the "confectioners" version of Swerve yet- they have been out of stock for months now, but I am excited to try it for frostings/icings in the future :-)  You can read more about Swerve here: http://www.swervesweetener.com/about-swerve/

For those of you that have asked, the only other sweetener that I cook with is Stevia!  (And I add natural Monk Fruit to my coffee in the mornings!)

Now, on to the scones!!

INGREDIENTS:
- 1 c. Almond Flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
-2 Tbsp. Coconut Flour (Also, Bob's)
- 1/4 c. Swerve
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- "pinch" of salt
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Ext.
- 1 tsp. Almond Ext.
- 1/4 c. (jar) of cherries, chopped
- 1/4 c. chopped almonds


DIRECTIONS:
1.) Preheat your oven to 375.  Line a baking sheet with Parchment Paper.  (I used my Pampered Chef bar stone so I skipped the parchment).
2.) Sift the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
3.) Whisk the eggs and extracts together.  Add to Dry ingredients.
4.) Fold in the cherries and almonds.
5.) Drop in 6 "mounds" onto the baking sheet.
6.) Bake for 15-18 minutes.
7.) Cool on a baking rack- do yourself a favor and wait until they are cooled down to enjoy the texture they gain!

It's that easy!!!  These scones come out nicely golden and crisp on the outside and crumbly and soft in the center.  I doubled the recipe with the intentions of freezing most of them for a quick and easy breakfast- they are PERFECT with coffee!  Well, Charles and I LOVED them so much that they didn't stay frozen for long, lol.  I am planning on making a few other versions of these using the base recipe- I LOVE THEM!  I will update this recipe once I try my newest version, which I just bought the ingredients for- Dark Chocolate Macadamia Nut!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment